Yemen Houthis confirm PM killed in Israeli airstrike

World Saturday 30/August/2025 22:03 PM
By: DW
Yemen Houthis confirm PM killed in Israeli airstrike

Sanaa: An Israeli airstrike killed the prime minister of the rebel-controlled government in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, the Iranian-backed Houthis have confirmed.

"We announce the martyrdom of the fighter Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi... along with several of his ministerial colleagues, as they were targeted by the treacherous Israeli criminal enemy," a Houthi statement said.

"Others among their companions were injured with moderate to serious wounds and are receiving medical care since Thursday afternoon," it added.

Deputy Prime Minister Mohammed Ahmed Miftah was appointed as interim prime minister following Rahawi's death, the Houthis announced separately.

The Israeli military also said that it "precisely struck a Houthi terrorist regime military target in the area of Sanaa in Yemen."

Ahmed al-Rahawi was killed in a Thursday strike along with a number of ministers during a routine meeting, the statement by the rebel group said.

Al-Rahawi had held the post of prime minister to the Houthi-led government since August 2024.

It comes as Israeli strikes hit targeted areas across Sanaa earlier this week, killing at least 10 people and wounding 102 others, according to the Houthi-run health ministry and government officials.

The Houthis have repeatedly launched missiles against Israel since Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza began. The group has claimed that its attacks against Israel are in solidarity with the Palestinians.